The Lois Wagner Memorial Library provides free services to all residents living within the City of Richmond, and extends courtesy cards to those residents living in Casco, Columbus, and Richmond Townships. The library holds over 40,000 materials, including books, audiobooks, CDs, DVDs, and magazines.
Mrs. Olney Culver opened the parlor of her home to book loving residents in 1912, creating the first public library in Richmond. The library was founded by the ladies of the Civic Society. Mrs. Culver's home is now the site of Foster's Gas Station, across from the Town Clock.
In no time at all, the library had outgrown the parlor and was moved across the street to the Chaffee Building, now the vacant lot next to Time on Main Street. Next, the library moved to the second floor of the Auditorium in 1936. Then it moved to the Bauer (later Kramer) Funeral Home in 1967, which is now the site of Charter One.
In 1974, it moved off of Main Street for the first time, to our present location at 35200 Division Street. In 1992, an addition that doubled the floor space of the library was completed.On May 4, 1998, as a tribute to Lois Wagner's years of dedication and work, the Richmond City Council named the library in her honor.